2012-05-14

Vingaroon Black Leather

vingaroon
Half a 0000 steel wool pad was allowed to sit in household vinegar for 24 hours.  The lid was not tight as I believe there may be some gasses emitted during the reaction.  This test strip of leather was submerged for about 5-10 seconds, producing a nice black color with this ancient technique that takes advantage of a chemical reaction with the tannins in the leather.  This color will not rub off and shines up nicely with a satin or gloss finish.  I would imagine any shade of gray could be produced by experimenting with the amount of time the steel wool is left in the vinegar.
 Final result, with super sheen and atom wax.

1 comment:

Brian said...

I'm about to use a bunch of vinegar to take off the zinc/galvanized coating on my mail shirt. Was trying to figure out what to do with the remaining vinegar, may have to filter out the other stuff and reuse the vinegar and some old steel wool I have around the garage to try this out.