2011-04-29

Lamellar Dye


I learned a couple of things about leather dye last night. I am using an alcohol-based dye that tends to cause leather to stiffen. Stiff leather won't be an issue if I plan to boil the leather in bees wax, but for clothing this will be a problem.

To keep leather soft and flexible use a water-based dye and manipulate the leather a few times while it is drying. Also: before dying use a leather bleach, let that dry, then dampen the leather with a spray bottle or damp sponge. After the dying process is complete apply a leather oil to increase flexibility.


I'll use water-based dyes for the remainder of the lamellar colors. Luckily I had opted for a varying earth tone pattern, so it shouldn't be a problem if I switch dyes half way through in applications of first, second, and third coats.

Is there too much variation in the colors now? I think the differences in color needs to be more subtle: noticeable but not eye-catching!

No comments: