2011-04-28

Lamellar Front


I can't decide if I like the middle ground between clothing grade 6oz leather lames and 12oz armor grade lames. The 9oz strap leather I've used may turn out to be a bastard hybrid ill suited to any use! If so, I can always use this as the back piece. Next task is figuring out how to sew these rows of lames to a suede backing, with vertically overlapping rows. Twelve stitching holes per lame, 72 lames, 3 holes per minute: I better fire up some some reruns and settle in for a long night of hole punching!

3 comments:

Ken said...

On second thought, I think I need to dye these first, then cement them together, then punch holes for stitching. I'm going to vary the color of each lame to generate some visual interest.

Anonymous said...

Do you still work?! How long is this stuff taking you? It's awesome btw.

Ken said...

Haha! It is pretty quick -- a couple hours a day. I started dying the Lamellar plates different earth tones and will probably arrange them randomly. Hand punching and hand stitching might take some time though!