2011-05-08

Embellished Mail Shirt


This mail shirt is an incredibly cool "canvas" for my next project. Mail was used from the time of the Romans through the Renaissance. The mail pictured here is not quite historically accurate because the rings are round instead of flat, and the rings are butted together instead of riveted (or welded) for added strength. The rings are 16 gauge, round wire, zinc plated, with 8mm inner diameter.
I had planned on lining the edges with leather or suede, and doing some Celtic, Saxon or Viking knot work using real leather cord. The leather could be folded over the edges and stitched through the rings. The mail is zinc coated to prevent rust but it should still be kept oiled, so I'm not sure how leather will work out with that. Maybe black or very dark brown leather, with a slightly lighter cord for the knot work?
I'm not quite sure what to do with this piece so I'm looking for comments, thoughts and suggestions.

No comments: