2011-05-17

Custom Hand-and-a-Half Sword Handle



My first attempt fell a bit short. I was very pleased with the lacing effect the packaging twine had, but the leather shrunk considerably on the handle when it dried and came up short on the edges. I think the risers added about 1/4 inch additional length. Also, the lacing was twisted and looked sloppy. Growing weary of failure, I made multiple careful measurements and created a pattern to be used to cut the leather for this Hanwei Practical Bastard Sword. Also visible are the additional 2mm leather cord risers. I soaked the leather for about 1 minute in warm tap water, let it dry on a towel for a few minutes, poked twice the number of threading holes as before, and lace.
I will let it dry over night and will probably need to trim and re-lace the lower half, soak with a sponge and wrap with twine.

No comments: